Please email or call the church office for contact information of facilitators of small groups. Most small groups take a summer break.
Movies ‘n’ More
Facilators: Tom and Helen Powell
Day & Time: 2nd Fridays and 4th Saturdays 7:00pm
Location: Tom and Helen Powell home
Wednesday Morning Book Club
Facilitator: Pr. Kathy
Day: First Wednesday of each month (breaks during the summer)
Time: 10–11:30 a.m.
Location: Messiah, Hazel Dell
Study Topic: Books vary: September-June
Brewed Theology (formerly known as Theology on Tap)
God. Conversation. Beer.
Facilitator: Pr. Peter
Days: third Tuesday or Thursday of the month (breaks during July and August)
Time: 7:00-8:30 p.m.
Location: Local craft breweries and pubs in North Portland and Clark County
- to engage in relaxed and guided conversation about interesting and often profound theological topics;
- to enjoy some of the finest craft beers anywhere;
- and to do it with some of the best people around.
Previous topics have included:
- How to Have Difficult Conversations
- Mission Critical: Right. Wrong. Reimagined
- Trivia on Tap
- What's Next? Respawning. Resuscitation. Reabsorption. Reincarnation. Resurrection.
- Lent: Discipleship, Discipline, of just a Drag
- Is it "A Mad, Mad, World" or the Nex Great?
- Sola Scriptura
- In the Image
- Theories and Theology: Faithful, Informed, & Christian
- What's so Amazing about Grace
- Is 'white' a color?: races in our spaces
- The Meaning of Money
- Déjà vu all over again (only faster): from Gutenberg to Google – the challenge of being a flesh and blood church in a digital world.
- Close Encounters of the Divine Kind: Angels, Messengers, Messages, and You
- God of Heaven and Mirth: God, The Bible, and Holy Humor
- Dying Well
- God and Sports: Silly or Serious?
- Ready ... Set ... Stop? The War on Rest, and the Need for Sabbath
- Affluenza: Where can I find the vaccine?
- Incoming Call: ... God? Call, Vocation, Purpose ... and other ways to think about what the heck you are doing here, and why what you do counts.
- Dazed and Confused: Are we sinners or saints for having decriminalized the sale, possession and use of pot in Washington State?
- What the Hell? Where is it? Why is it? When is it?
- Is Jesus a Republican or Democrat?
- The E-Word
- The Death of the Church
- Single, Divorced, Living Together: Why is the Church so Uncomfortable?
- Space, Aliens, & Jesus Christ: Wanna? Be an Astro Theologian?
- The Gifts of Imperfection
- Losing My Religion
- Building a Civilized Workplace and Surviving One that Isn’t
- A Christian Response to Panhandlers
- Christian Faith and Mental Illness
- Angels and Demons
- What Happens When You Die?— Reincarnation, Resuscitation, Re-absorption, Replenishment... or Resurrection?
- If God is so close, why is God so hard to find?
- Money, Culture, and You
- Death and Dying: The Ethics and Challenges of End-of-Life Decisions
- Forgiveness—What is it exactly... or not so exactly?
- Spiritual, but not Religious—Stop Boring Me
Pubs and breweries visited:
- Flyboy Brewing
- Feral Public House - Heathen Brewing
- Uptown Barrel Room
- Ghost Runners Brewery and Taproom
- Untapped Pub
- Heathen Brewing Night in the Big Back Yard of the Intern House
- Loowit Brewing Co.
- Dirty Hands Brewing Co.
- Mill Creek Pub
- Total Wine and More nights in the homes of Ted & Julie Johnson and Intern Joe
- Lucky Labrador Brewing
- Laurelwood Brewery
- MacTarnahan’s Taproom at the Portland Brewing Co.
- Amnesia Brewing
- Hopworks Urban Brewery
- Rail Side Brewing
- The Brickhouse