God. Conversation. Beer.
Facilitated by Pr. Peter and Intern Pr. Allison
Tuesday, October 27, 2015. 7:00-8:45pm.
Click here to register and to learn about the preparatory homework.
Déjà vu all over again (only faster): from Gutenberg to Google – the challenges of being a flesh and blood church in a digital world.
Dr. Laura K. Simmons, Ph.D.
Professor of Christian Ministries
George Fox Evangelical Seminary
Mill Creek PubFive-hundred years ago the Church and the world experienced a paradigm shift fueled by the advent of the moveable type printing press. Today, the world is changing at breakneck speed as digital technologies continually evolve and dominate our lives. How might Christians faithfully align and assess all the messages and their messengers in light of their connection to Jesus and how might we convey the Gospel … digitally?
Messiah's October TOT will meet once this month on Tuesday, October 27, from 7:00-8:45pm at MacTarnahan's Taproom at Portland Brewing Company.
An Important Detail Regarding the loccation.
We will be meeting in the Highland Room of MacTarnahan's Taproom. If you arrive early, please inform the host that you are with Messiah's TOT group and go directly to the Highland Room. Do not sit in the regular seating area of the pub, no matter how early you arrive. A wait person will serve you in the Highland Room. Thank you.
TOT has three goals:
- to engage in relaxed and guided conversation about interesting and often profound theological topics;
- to enjoy some of the finest craft beers anywhere;
- and to do it with some of the best people around.
and he will add your email to the list.Untapped Pub
Previous topics have included:
- Close Encounters of the Divine Kind: Angels, Messengers, Messages, and You
- God of Heaven and Mirth: God, The Bible, and Holy Humor
- Dying Well
- God and Sports: Silly or Serious?
- Ready ... Set ... Stop? The War on Rest, and the Need for Sabbath
- Affluenza: Where can I find the vaccine?
- Incoming Call: ... God? Call, Vocation, Purpose ... and other ways to think about what the heck you are doing here, and why what you do counts.
- Untapped PubDazed and Confused: Are we sinners or saints for having decriminalized the sale, possession and use of pot in Washington State?
- What the Hell? Where is it? Why is it? When is it?
- Is Jesus a Republican or Democrat?
- The E-Word
- Loowit BrewingThe Death of the Church
- Single, Divorced, Living Together: Why is the Church so Uncomfortable?
- Space, Aliens, & Jesus Christ: Wanna be an Astro Theologian?
- The Gifts of Imperfection
- Losing My Religion
- Building a Civilized Workplace and Surviving One that Isn’t
- A Christian Response to Panhandlers
- Christian Faith and Mental Illness
- Angels and Demons
- What Happens When You Die?— Reincarnation, Resuscitation, Re-absorption, Replenishment... or Resurrection?
- If God is so close, why is God so hard to find?Feral Public House - Home of Heathen Brewing
- Money, Culture, and You
- Intern House Big Back YardDeath and Dying: The Ethics and Challenges of End-of-Life Decisions
- Forgiveness—What is it exactly... or not so exactly?
- Spiritual, but not Religious—Stop Boring Me
Pubs and breweries where TOT has met thus far:
- Feral Public House - home of Heathen Brewing
- Fortside Brewing Company
- Ghost Runners Brewery and Taproom
- Untapped Pub
- Heathen Brewing Night in the Big Back Yard of the Intern House
- Loowit Brewing Co.
- Dirty Hands Brewing Co.
- Mill Creek Pub
- Total Wine and More nights in the homes of Ted & Julie Johnson and Intern Joe
- Lucky Labrador Brewing
- Feral Public House - home of Heathen BrewingLaurelwood Brewery
- MacTarnahan′s Taproom at Portland Brewing Co.
- Amnesia Brewing
- Hopworks Urban Brewery
- Rail Side Brewing
- The Brickhouse