God. Conversation. Beer.
Facilitated by Pr. Peter and Intern Prs. Ben & Kristen.
Click here for this month's preparatory homework.
Messiah's TOT has steadily grown. Because most pubs in North Portland and Clark County can no longer accommodate the entire group, we are now offering a twice-a-month schedule with the topic and location the same for both events. This month TOT will meet on Tuesday, April 21 and Thursday, April 23 at the brand new Fortside Brewing Company in Vancouver. We will be the first "pre-opening" patrons of the pub. RSVP is required. Register for Tuesday, April 21. Register for Thursday, April 23.
02.24.2015 at Mill Creek Pub in Battle GroundTOT has three goals:
- to engage in relaxed and guided conversation about interesting and often profound theological topics;
- to enjoy some of the finest craft beers anywhere; and
- to do it with some of the best people around.
The meeting place is usually a local craft brewery or pub in North Portland or Clark County. The meeting days are the fourth Tuesday and Thursday of the month. The location, dates, and topic are disclosed in a monthly TOT email from Pr. Peter and Intern Prs. Ben and Kristen. They also provide the Preparatory Homework in the form of readings and/or videos accessed on the internet. If you are not already on the TOT distribution list, contact Pr. Peter and he will add01.20.2015 & 01.22.2015 at Untapped Pub in Portland your email to the list.
Previous topics have included:
- Dying Well
- God and Sports: Silly or Serious?
- Ready ... Set ... Stop? The War on Rest, and the Need for Sabbath
- Affluenza: Where can I find the vaccine?
- Incoming Call: ... God? Call, Vocation, Purpose ... and other ways to think about what the heck you are doing here, and why what you do counts.
- Dazed and Confused: Are we sinners or saints for having decriminalized the sale, possession and use of pot in Washington State?
- What the Hell? Where is it? Why is it? When is it?
- Is Jesus a Republican or Democrat?
- 12.02.2014 & 12.04.2014 at the Lucky Lab in PortlandThe E-Word
- The Death of the Church
- Single, Divorced, Living Together: Why is the Church so Uncomfortable?
- Space, Aliens, & Jesus Christ: Wanna′ Be an Astro Theologian?
- The Gifts of Imperfection
- Losing My Religion
- Building a Civilized Workplace and Surviving One that Isn't
- A Christian Response to Panhandlers
- Christian Faith and Mental Illness
- Angels and Demons
- What Happens When You Die?— Reincarnation, Resuscitation, Re-absorption, Replenishment ... or10.23.2014 at Portland Brewing Resurrection?
- If God is so close, why is God so hard to find?
- Money, Culture, and You
- Death and Dying: The Ethics and Challenges of End-of-Life Decisions
- Forgiveness—What is it exactly... or not so exactly?
- Spiritual, but not Religious—Stop Boring Me
Pubs and breweries where TOT has met:
- Ghost Runners Brewery and Taproom
- Untapped Pub
- Heathen Brewing Night in the Big Back Yard of the Intern House
- Loowit Brewing Co.
- Dirty Hands Brewing Co.
- Mill Creek Pub
- 06.26.2014 Heathen Brewing in the Big Backyard of the Intern HouseTotal Wine and More nights in the homes of Ted & Julie Johnson and Intern Joe
- Lucky Labrador Brewing
- Laurelwood Brewery
- MacTarnahan′s Taproom at Portland Brewing Co.
- Amnesia Brewing
- Hopworks Urban Brewery
- Rail Side Brewing
- The Brickhouse