Please email or call the church office for contact information of facilitators of small groups. Most small groups take a summer break.
Movies ‘n’ More
Facilators: Tom and Helen Powell
Day & Time: 2nd Fridays and 4th Saturdays 7:00pm
Location: Tom and Helen Powell home
Facilators: Justin & Carrie Farrell
Day & Time: Wednesdays during FL!P, 6:00-7:00pm
Location: Messiah Hazel Dell
No heavy agenda—just parents, grandparents, and guardians supporting each other in the challenging work of raising children well. Topics will include child development, mental health, dating, sibling rivalry, technology guidelines, and others that members of the group would like to discuss.
Child care available.
Wednesday Morning Book Club
Facilitator: Pr. Kathy
Day: First Wednesday of each month (breaks during the summer)
Time: 10–11:30 a.m.
Location: Messiah, Hazel Dell
Study Topic: Books vary: October 4 – Behold the Dreamers: A Novel, by Imbolo Mbue; November 1 – Wonder, by R.J. Palacio
Theology on Tap
God. Conversation. Beer.
Facilitator: Pr. Peter
Days: third Tuesday or Thursday of the month (breaks during July and August)
Time: 7:00-8:30 p.m.
Location: Local craft breweries and pubs in North Portland and Clark County
- to engage in relaxed and guided conversation about interesting and often profound theological topics;
- to enjoy some of the finest craft beers anywhere;
- and to do it with some of the best people around.
Previous topics have included:
- How to Have Difficult Conversations
- Mission Critical: Right. Wrong. Reimagined
- Trivia on Tap
- What's Next? Respawning. Resuscitation. Reabsorption. Reincarnation. Resurrection.
- Lent: Discipleship, Discipline, of just a Drag
- Is it "A Mad, Mad, World" or the Nex Great?
- Sola Scriptura
- In the Image
- Theories and Theology: Faithful, Informed, & Christian
- What's so Amazing about Grace
- Is 'white' a color?: races in our spaces
- The Meaning of Money
- Déjà vu all over again (only faster): from Gutenberg to Google – the challenge of being a flesh and blood church in a digital world.
- Close Encounters of the Divine Kind: Angels, Messengers, Messages, and You
- God of Heaven and Mirth: God, The Bible, and Holy Humor
- Dying Well
- God and Sports: Silly or Serious?
- Ready ... Set ... Stop? The War on Rest, and the Need for Sabbath
- Affluenza: Where can I find the vaccine?
- Incoming Call: ... God? Call, Vocation, Purpose ... and other ways to think about what the heck you are doing here, and why what you do counts.
- Dazed and Confused: Are we sinners or saints for having decriminalized the sale, possession and use of pot in Washington State?
- What the Hell? Where is it? Why is it? When is it?
- Is Jesus a Republican or Democrat?
- The E-Word
- The Death of the Church
- Single, Divorced, Living Together: Why is the Church so Uncomfortable?
- Space, Aliens, & Jesus Christ: Wanna? Be an Astro Theologian?
- The Gifts of Imperfection
- Losing My Religion
- Building a Civilized Workplace and Surviving One that Isn’t
- A Christian Response to Panhandlers
- Christian Faith and Mental Illness
- Angels and Demons
- What Happens When You Die?— Reincarnation, Resuscitation, Re-absorption, Replenishment... or Resurrection?
- If God is so close, why is God so hard to find?
- Money, Culture, and You
- Death and Dying: The Ethics and Challenges of End-of-Life Decisions
- Forgiveness—What is it exactly... or not so exactly?
- Spiritual, but not Religious—Stop Boring Me
Pubs and breweries visited:
- Flyboy Brewing
- Feral Public House - Heathen Brewing
- Uptown Barrel Room
- Ghost Runners Brewery and Taproom
- Untapped Pub
- Heathen Brewing Night in the Big Back Yard of the Intern House
- Loowit Brewing Co.
- Dirty Hands Brewing Co.
- Mill Creek Pub
- Total Wine and More nights in the homes of Ted & Julie Johnson and Intern Joe
- Lucky Labrador Brewing
- Laurelwood Brewery
- MacTarnahan’s Taproom at the Portland Brewing Co.
- Amnesia Brewing
- Hopworks Urban Brewery
- Rail Side Brewing
- The Brickhouse