I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work among you will bring it to completion by the day of Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:6 NRSV
Dear Member and Friend of Messiah Lutheran Church,
As the busy-ness of this year ends, it is an opportune time to pause and reflect about the work we have accomplished together, and which we hope to complete in the coming year. Our 2015 theme is Here for Good, and there are many ways Messiah is here for good—for the good of the church, the community, and the world.
Pastoral Interns Ben and Kristen have often remarked that Messiah is “unusually gifted” in terms of how active, involved, and age-diverse we are as a congregation—a big complement and a good thing! We use our gifts to accomplish a lot of good for Jesus' sake. We consistently demonstrate that we are here for good. Messiah is a place that ...
Worships and welcomes passionately:
- 2014: the highest worship attendance in Messiah’s history
- music ministries involve 130 people, ages 3-82
- numerous invited guests: regularly present at worship, funerals, memorials, and special events ... many of whom find a home at Messiah
- Teaches and engages faithfully:Godly Play®: teaches our youngest members to ask amazing questions and be theologians
- 104 students enrolled in Messiah Preschool; weekly chapel averages 142 including parents and grandparents
- Crossways® classes on the New Testament attended by 60 adults
- Theology on Tap: now two nights, up to 90 adults taking on tough topics on faith and life
- Intern couple, Ben and Kristen, uniquely placed for learning from a clergy couple ... and all of you!
- Food on the Fourth thus far gathered 80 tons of food for the hungry in our community
- High School Breakfast advertised in area high schools provided nourishment and encouragement for students
- Members serve at Compassion Ridgefield, Winter Hospitality Overflow, and more
- Youth serve at “Santa's Posse” and the Messiah-sponsored CARE closet at Columbia River High School, and more
- Stephen Ministers and Christ Bearers bringing Jesus’ presence to the sick, dying, homebound, and grieving
- Helping and supporting family and friends of those who have died
- Services of Comfort and Hope for those feeling lost, alone, grieving
Thank you for your ministry, and the many ways you have helped proclaim the Good News of Jesus, and participated in the work of Messiah Lutheran Church—here for good. Soon we will celebrate the birth of Jesus, the One who changes everything ... for good.
As we look back and look forward, I invite you to consider making a financial gift that furthers Messiah’s participation for good in the mission of Jesus Christ. You may make a gift at Messiah’s website: messiahvancouver.org, and click “Give” on the top-right. The online method is safe and secure and will appear on your annual giving statement.
We know that whatever good we do ultimately belongs to God, and will be brought to completion in Jesus Christ (Phi. 1:6). Thank you for all you have done to participate in this mission. We look forward to the future, and the work we will continue to do for Christ’s sake.
Together we are Messiah Lutheran Church, the Body of Christ ... here for good.
Yours in Christ,
Prs. Peter & Kathleen Braafladt